Sunday, August 21, 2005

 

Levinson, Ross battle to a windy draw

The much-anticipated Levinson and Ross matchup ended with an unsatisfying draw at Harbin Park on Sunday. Ross birdied the 600-foot, par 5 18th to draw even with Levinson, who had maintained a two-stroke lead as late as the 16th hole. As the pair walked to the 16th, Levinson stood at even-par while Ross followed at two-strokes over.

The wind was extremely disconcerting over the front nine, as it swirled about the course's dominant feature - the Fairfield water tower. In the maelstrom, some observers in the gallery spotted a house, a witch on a bicycle, and miscellaneous tumbleweed swirling in the milieu. Other observers were merrily flying kites, altogether unconcerned with the "great windstorm of 2005" as well as the cataclysmic disc golf game unfolding before their very eyes.

After the match, a despondent Levinson expressed regret. "I should have kicked the door shut on 16 and been a little more conservative. Instead, I got caught up in the moment and really tried to go for it, which I didn't need to do. My coach (Silverman) wasn't able to be here today and he usually has some good advice for me, like 'keep my head down', and 'try not to throw it over there, idiot!'. I really missed having him here to work the strategy side."

Ross noted that his team of advisors was also absent. "My agents -- the firm of Lipps, Maines and Reed -- couldn't be here today and I was pretty much without my biggest cheering section. They claimed that they had 'other things to do', but the least I would expect is that they show up, especially with the hefty percentage of each purse they collect. It might be time to re-evaluate my management team."

A spokesperson at LM&R did not return calls at press time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?